Re: [livecode] google summer of code

From: Click Nilson <clicksonnil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:28:59 +0000

I'm amused by Alex's way of keeping students interested after a
project ends, by bribing them with gigs!

Um, looking at the Pd page for this Thor linked to, it's clear that
they're much more advanced here, with multiple proposals. I'm sure
the SC community could come up with a few, but time is the real
killer here.

I just checked the GSOC details again. Mentoring applications happen
between 9 and 13 March, ie next week. The student applications (if
you get that far) happen with decisions expected to be resolved over
Easter. So I can tell you now I'm not available to be an admin from
that timing alone. There is also the fact that TOPLAP is not an open
source project in itself; SC, ChucK etc are, but then they'd apply
independently. There also seem to be assumptions on when students can
code based on US terms (they start in May!), and tax forms to fill
out. So whilst Alex has made a good start at the questions, not
convinced... perhaps working on Netclock doesn't need a student.

 From the SC side, happy to be involved, particularly for 2010, but
couldn't cope with doing much for next week.

best,