Re: [livecode] google summer of code

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:17:56 +0100

Alex;

The question is do any supercollider/chuck/fluxus people have some ideas
> to contribute and the time to do so? It's kind of all or nothing I
> think.

I'd be happy to help draft a language side specification or comment on it if
Ge (or Perry/Dan/Rebecca/?) would be in.

I don't know enough about the C++ guts to be of much help on that side. One
thing that seems like a natural approach to me would be to have a NetClock
object that would have several members that would be Events. This is
possible; you can write a class like that yourself in ChucK but none of the
build-in objects work like that. I'm not sure how many issues that would
cause.

I suggested things along those lines before, for example a UGen detecting
zero-crossings with a member that's a Event to report on those but so far
nobody seems to be as enthusiastic about that approach as I am; the reason
for that might simply be that it would be very hard to implement.

I don't think it need be "all or nothing", BTW. If we would have just a good
standard and one implementation then other systems could catch up later.
Just a single implementation would already be useful on it's own. A single
implementation without a good standard would of course cause issues later.

Kas.