Re: [livecode] google summer of code

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:08:13 +0100

Alex;

> Netclock is implemented in a very supercollider manner, but I think
> you're right, it's general enough to implement different APIs to fit the
> various language flavours of time...

It will need to be. PD might need (amongst other things, maybe) a object
that sends one sort of pulse every beat and another every bar.

ChucK might want this in the form of Events but might also want a way to
poll the clock for beat length in "duration" as well as the time the piece
lasted so far in type "time". Those last two wouldn't make much sense sense
for PD but that doesn't matter as it would just be a different way of
looking at the same clock.

We'd need to keep a careful eye on this to avoid confusion and
incompatibility. We can all be blindfolded and enjoy the same elephant, each
in our own way, historically the issues only start when we also try to talk
about the elephant to each other. We all know that UGens can be ported
between various systems, but when you and I both use the same UGen while you
are on SC and me on CK we may not agree on the syntax it uses. With UGens
that's no big deal as there is no inherent social aspect to UGens but for
network clocks there is.

I have high hopes for this but some care needs to be taken in finding
suitable abstractions on the user level.

Kas.