Re: [livecode] google summer of code

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:47:31 +0000

Thanks for the insights Click,

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 16:08 +0000, Click Nilson wrote:
> But I had a quick look at the actual application forms required for
> this last month, as possibly suggesting a SuperCollider bid, and
came
> to the conclusion that it was too much paperwork and too many
> requirements on supervision and location. Maybe I've misread it, but
> seems to require quite specific proposals with very careful
> supervision arrangements (there is also the spectre of getting
> university hosting support for this before making any official bid,
> which can be less than simple admin in itself).

It doesn't seem so bad to me, am I looking in the wrong place?

http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/notes-on-organization-selection-criteria

I think we fit the grade pretty well - we're a long running, active
organisation, with achievements to show for it, and we could get a lot
out of GSoC. I doubt we'd get more than a couple of students, but if it
went well we could get more the following year.

I've made a start here. Is this the paperwork you're referring to or
have I missed something:
  http://toplap.org/index.php/GSoC

Also, what do you mean by university hosting support?

There's no point going ahead without a selection of mentors from the
various languages. I propose mentor and one backup from each free
software language/project. People who spring to mind, in no particular
order (and without asking them first) are:

* Nick Collins/Julian Rohrhuber/Fredrik Oloffson/Dan Stowell/Thor/ ? -
supercollider
* Dave Griffiths/Artem Baguinski/? - fluxus
* Ge Wang / Kassen / ? - ChucK
* Jamie Forth / Alex McLean (me) - netclock

We could perhaps include pd in this as well.

Remember these are mentors, not students, who would apply later.

Does this make sense? Anyone keen/not keen? Mentoring might be quite a
bit of work by the way... The student would likely be learning on the
job and need some support.

> On the other hand, if I'm entirely wrong about how straight forward
> it is, happy to be part of a bid, though no time for extensive admin
> work on it before the 13th.

Would you be happy as a named mentor Nick?

Cheers,

alex