Re: [livecode] more in-game joypad-coding

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 03:13:37 +0100

Dave;

Nice! One of the latest races in the games industry is to capture the
> "youtube" effect somehow with "user generated content" - Little big
> planet and this new ms attempt are part of that, and I think it's
> probably the most exciting thing to happen in games for quite a time.

Yeah, Spore did that well. It was very clever of them to integrate a "export
movie to Youtube" feature straight into the free "creature creator" (or
whatever it was called). I could image a feature like that appearing in
livecoding IDE's in the future.

> They are quite restricted still though, and a long way to go before it
> gets back to something as free as it was in the 80's:
>
> 64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
>
> READY.

Sure, but what percentage of Comodore owners actually wrote their own? I
know what you are saying but right now I do feel a bit more excited about a
very advanced game then about a very primitive "real" language. To put it in
other words; having to start all lines with a number is one of the most
unpleasant things around while this way of indicating scope using the shape
of the icons that get chained looks like a very nice take on
syntax-highlighting to me, I honestly feel this makes a "find matching
braket" hotkey look primitive. Clearly it's not a either/or question; this
is meant as a introduction, I suppose like a "free first hit".

Yours,
Kas.