Re: [livecode] Informal survey : which soft for livecoding ? (Please read ! )

From: nescivi <nescivi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 06:56:57 -0500

Hiho,

On Thursday 11 December 2008 15:33:13 Sylvain wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is not part of any serious survey, just a little curiosity from
> myself. I would just like to know which software livecoders use for
> livecoding.
> I suspect SC/Jitlib and Chuck are the most commons, but who knows ?
> (someone told me he saw someone livecoding in Haskell ...).
> So this would only take who 2 minutes to answer theses simple questions :
> 1 - Which software (or language) do you use for livecoding ? (if
> several, ranked by preference plz)

SuperCollider, sometimes with JITlib, but not necessarily.

Livecoding itself is for me not only a performance style, but also a way to
develop work quite quickly during production time. Setting up my environment
in such a way that I can change things quickly on the fly facilitates the
work process a lot.

My most thrilling experience of live - debugging was during a sold out show of
a dance performance in Paris (Creteil, EXIT festival), where I fixed a bug
which turned off the light of a table on stage, at times where it was
supposed to be on (this was a complex system where stage lights were both
controlled by a dynamic state system and in a traditional cue system, which
interfered at this point). I was fixing that code as the show went on, while
at the same time keeping up with my cues, and catching up with the symptom of
the bug whenever it happened.

I'm not sure whether this is relevant to the questionnaire ;)

> 2 - Which software (or language) did you ever try for livecoding ?

I think only SuperCollider.
I glanced briefly at Fluxus for some 3D stuff, but then found scgraph :)
But I made a well informed choice for SC (not just for livecoding), after
seeing a whole bunch of other audio languages.

sincerely,
Marije