Re: [livecode] [Fwd: Re: livecoding at piksel]

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:02:12 +0000

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 02:16 +0100, Kassen wrote:

> > I've stared at the gstreamer plugin API for a while, in theory it should
> > be easy to write something that takes text as OSC and sends it to
> > textoverlay to render into a video stream. That would take a lot less
> > CPU than doing screen grabs all the time I think. However it involves
> > automake and a sprawling mass of documentation. I think it got the
> > better of me.
> Makes perfect sense, but that would mean a need for converting text to
> OSC, which may not be easy in all systems. Some systems like looking
> at code as a string (and the other way around) yet others don't.

I managed to get it working with feedback.pl, basically whenever
anything changes in the editor a text screen dump is sent to the text
overlay on the video stream... It does use a lot less cpu for nicer
looking (higher res) text. You can see the cursor too. It'd be trivial
to have the text superimposed over a webcam image of my keyboard, I
might see what that does to the cpu...

This is technology designed for subtitling, fitting somehow.

> Yup! I pointed that out to Artem and it turned out that he hadn't even
> realised it didn't say "Nick Collins". Dyslexic people can be hard to
> fool with anagrams. I didn't mention it out loud then and there, there
> were some journalists there and I thought it would be nicer to have a
> bit of a myth. I like myths and I didn't want to spoil somebody
> else's
> joke.

Yes, and for a mythical being, Click sure shows up a lot...

alex