Re: [livecode] [Fwd: Re: livecoding at piksel]

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 02:16:17 +0100

Alex;

I'd see this as practice really, getting feedback from a couple of
> people listening across the net...

That's true.

> I've stared at the gstreamer plugin API for a while, in theory it should
> be easy to write something that takes text as OSC and sends it to
> textoverlay to render into a video stream. That would take a lot less
> CPU than doing screen grabs all the time I think. However it involves
> automake and a sprawling mass of documentation. I think it got the
> better of me.

Makes perfect sense, but that would mean a need for converting text to OSC,
which may not be easy in all systems. Some systems like looking at code as a
string (and the other way around) yet others don't.

I also have to add that I like seeing the cursor move, often the cursor
gives away many of the processes of the programmer, I'm not sure that would
be preserved this way. I think cursor movement as a expression/comunication
of thought/hesiation is a under-apreceated aspect of livecoding. At
Todaysart I also experimented with playing the cursor keys as I was
sonifying my keyboard and those were the one way to play the sounds yet not
add/change code.

> Was that the one where Florian Cramer gave a lecture featuring Click
> Nilson? Did anyone let him know that he doesn't exist?

Yup! I pointed that out to Artem and it turned out that he hadn't even
realised it didn't say "Nick Collins". Dyslexic people can be hard to fool
with anagrams. I didn't mention it out loud then and there, there were some
journalists there and I thought it would be nicer to have a bit of a myth. I
like myths and I didn't want to spoil somebody else's joke.

Yours,
Kas.