Re: [livecode] [OT] cellular automata

From: marcel corso <marcel.corso_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:27:36 +0200

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM, AlgoMantra <algomantra_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM, marcel corso <marcel.corso_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Since on a celular automata you depend on the state of the cells of
>> the past cycle you could easily parallelize the process.
>> Dividing the space in n parts and run a process or thread on each of
>> these parts.
>
> So I now have N-processes or threads. They have to be initialized or ordered
> in a certain way. The "parallel" then becomes a satisfactory illusion, but
> does it solve
> the problem of "true simultaneity"? No.

Even pipelining inside processors can be seen as some sort of parallelization.
If you have a multi core processor or multiple processors you can get
some parallelization.
What about clustering?

One of my college teachers used to say that my couldn't be sure if we
were living in a parallelized universe or on a singled threaded :-)
Neither we could know if we are on a time-split system (we can get
frozen any moment!)