Re: [livecode] make art festival

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:11:19 +0100

Hi Marije,

No offence meant,

> There is no requirement for building your own OS, so why do you have to
> build your own hardware, in your analogy?

Maybe I should have said 'build your own in principle'. My understanding is
that there are only a few companies in the world who make the chips we
depend on. Now, they have good reason to be open about the chip
specification, but I think I was worrying about 'where it ends' if you
start demanding independence, and how independent you could ever really
be...

I still personally find the call exclusive, rather than open, but readily
concede that it definitely sets up a compositional constraint some might
enjoy.

> freedom and openness are not interesting questions to you?

I snipped your paragraph here; you put the issues well. I just happen
myself to find them less interesting as issues than a discussion about
non-standard temperaments, about algorithms for counterpoint generation
etc.

None of this is meant to be inflammatory, just expressing some concerns.

best to Montreal,