Re: [livecode] live coding and free software - feedback rqrd

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:31:22 +0100 (BST)

>> Also, the software industry has gone quite a long way past formal
>> design,
>> the latest fashion is agile development: http://agilemanifesto.org/
>> Which has some interesting features from a livecoding POV.
>
> In the web and gaming parts of the industry for sure, I don't know about
> the rest though, or whether agile programming has made it to computer
> science degree courses. I admit this part of the article is a bit
> overblown in any case. I'll think about maybe damping it down a bit.

The point is still valid - it's bad for creativity in some bits of code,
good in others. As you say, the reason is practical.

The most extreme opposite of livecoding I've heard of is at nasa:
"This software is bug-free. It is perfect, as perfect as human beings have
achieved."
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/06/writestuff.html

cheers,

dave