Re: [livecode] live coding and free software - feedback rqrd

From: Adrian Ward <adrian_at_signwave.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:14:56 +0100

On 1 Apr 2008, at 11:57, alex wrote:

>> Also, the software industry has gone quite a long way past formal
>> design,
>> the latest fashion is agile development: http://agilemanifesto.org/
>> Which has some interesting features from a livecoding POV.
>
> In the web and gaming parts of the industry for sure, I don't know
> about
> the rest though, or whether agile programming has made it to computer
> science degree courses. I admit this part of the article is a bit
> overblown in any case. I'll think about maybe damping it down a bit.

This is interesting. My company uses some (not all) elements of agile
coding because it really does improve the quality and effectiveness of
code first time round. Two coders collaborating on some functionality
at the same time will always produce better results quicker, I'm
convinced of it. As an analogy, a coder paired with a computer in
realtime will always produce more interesting music. (I think...)

I also think that paired programming feels very similar to livecoding.
I think this may be because you can see your code changing/working
without your constant direct action, and yet you can still exert some
control over it (ie. by grabbing the keyboard off your coding partner).