Re: [livecode] live coding and free software - feedback rqrd

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:51:11 +0100 (BST)

> On 1 Apr 2008, at 11:57, alex wrote:
>
>>> Also, the software industry has gone quite a long way past formal
>>> design,
>>> the latest fashion is agile development: http://agilemanifesto.org/
>>> Which has some interesting features from a livecoding POV.
>>
>> In the web and gaming parts of the industry for sure, I don't know
>> about
>> the rest though, or whether agile programming has made it to computer
>> science degree courses. I admit this part of the article is a bit
>> overblown in any case. I'll think about maybe damping it down a bit.
>
> This is interesting. My company uses some (not all) elements of agile
> coding because it really does improve the quality and effectiveness of
> code first time round. Two coders collaborating on some functionality
> at the same time will always produce better results quicker, I'm
> convinced of it. As an analogy, a coder paired with a computer in
> realtime will always produce more interesting music. (I think...)
>
> I also think that paired programming feels very similar to livecoding.
> I think this may be because you can see your code changing/working
> without your constant direct action, and yet you can still exert some
> control over it (ie. by grabbing the keyboard off your coding partner).

This is the first thing I thought when I heard about livecoding, the
feeling of 'thinking out loud' is very similar. Talking through an
explanation of your code to someone else while writing it definitely
results in better code. I find that doing it the full XP way with one
computer very demanding - but it does accelerate things tremendously.

I'd like to try doing full paired livecoding, but it seems that so few of
us share a language :) - the closest I've seen is powerbooks unplugged.

cheers,

dave