Re: [livecode] syntax free

From: Charles Turner <vze26m98_at_optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:46:48 -0500

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:56:20 +0000 (GMT), Dave Griffiths wrote:
> I think that the beauty of visual programming languages are that the
> contraints are obvious in that they are visible.

Not necessarily a a response to the spirit of the conversation here,
but Max/MSP and Pure Data enforce a hierarchy of inlets, where the
"action" of an object doesn't occur until something arrives at the
leftmost outlet. Also, evaluation occurs on screen from left to right,
so program behavior can change depending on the location of an object
with respect to others. (This last bit is from memory, so I could be
wholly or partially wrong. I think also PD has an even weirder scheme.)

Some might find this approach/visualization of Forth to be suggestive
of Max and PD:

<http://www.forth.org/forth_intro/stackflo.htm>

Best, Charles