Re: [livecode] Workshops at LOSS Livecode

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:40:23 +0100 (BST)

Hi Jim, all,

> A quick overview of the options and possibilities (Alex- I will chat to
> you later today- sorry I missed your calls yesterday).
>
> Ok- so space wise- access space is of moderate size. We have about 12
> networked computers (of moderate spec- they have all been built from
> donated and recycled bits) running on Mandriva at the moment. It may be
> that none of these are needed but it may be that all of them are. Most of
> them currently have sound running on them- (Alsa) and we are contantly
> trying to keep them up to date etc. They can all run Supercolllider. Some
> of them run Jack although we have been charting the incompatibility of
> hardware with this.
> We have one projector constantly available- and more can be sourced with
> accurate numbers. Size wise- it would comfortably seat about 20-25 people
> and could be pushed to hold more although it would then get very intimate!

That sounds good. I'm not sure if we have any idea about numbers yet - it
might be an idea to add a tickbox to the registration to get an estimate -
just single or double figures would be good.

Sounds like we'll need fluxus installed on those machines if we are able
to - version 0.12 ideally, but 0.11 might have easier, it doesn't matter
too much either way. Are you the right person to ask to do this?

I'm in favour of getting stuff on your machines rather than relying on
people to install on theirs beforehand, given the short time availible it
would be a shame to waste it on an installfest.

> We also have the possibility of using another space as well as access
> space. We can get hold of a larger empty space at SIF (Sheffield
> Independent Film) just down the road- this would be good for some
> performances etc although we would need to hire equipment- PA etc- think
> they have a projector in the space that we can use.
>
> In terms of the rest- any requests to make this as enjoyable for
> everybody- and I will try my best to sort.
>
> With regards to the friday session... I think the workshops would work
> well as hands on etc and then maybe moving towards a more of a jam
> session... then leading into food and the evenings entertainment. Worshop
> content- am afraid I am not going to be much use here- I am not really a
> livecoder- just interested! So therefore- I am your naive audience for you
> to test ideas!

In workshops I've given before I've just covered the very basics of scheme
and some graphics - intended for people with no programming experience. I
was worried that this would be too basic, but it sounds like it might be
appropriate for this too, it's easier in some ways to teach the more
advanced stuff - in the event that people are interested, we have enough
time.

cheers,

dave