[livecode] livecode bibliography

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:30:20 +0000

Hi all,

Just making the TOPLAP submission, I created a bibliography of
historical/academic papers on live coding to add at the end- anyone want to
suggest any additional?

(I'll be printing out the submission tomorrow since I don't have so much
time to do it, sorting tonight, but the bibliographic list could be added
to the TOPLAP wiki as a resource, and I might 'hard host' it at my site as
well as an immutable source ; ) )

And just thinking- is the TOPLAP mailing list archive ever going to appear?
There have been many interesting discussions in the past- a few of us
surely have complete archives (I have almost complete give or take a
couple) - should we make these available at some point?

best,

Alexander, A. Live coding is not synaesthesia. 2004.
http://www.toplap.org/index.php/LivecodingIsNotSynaesthesia

Andrews, R. Real DJs code live. Wired: Technology News, 6 July 2006.
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71248-0.html

Blackwell, A. and Collins, N. The programming language as a musical
instrument. In Proceedings of PPIG05 (Psychology of Programming Interest
Group), 2005.

Brown, A. R. Code jamming. M/C Journal 9, 6, 2006.
http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0612/03-brown.php

Collins, N., McLean, A., Rohrhuber, J., and Ward, A. Live coding techniques
for laptop performance. Organised Sound, 8, 3, 2003, 321-330.

Collins, N. Live coding practice. Under review for NIME 2007.

Collins, N. Some thoughts (on live coding). 2004.
http://www.toplap.org/index.php/Some_thoughts

Collins, N. Generative music and laptop performance. Contemporary Music
Review, 22, 4 (2003), 67-79.

Griffiths, D. Live coding of graphics. 2004.
http://www.toplap.org/index.php/Live_coding_of_graphics

Griffiths, D. pushing and popping polygons for pleasure. 2006.
www.xmeda.be/xmeda.screen.pdf

Kubota, A. Interview with Akihiro Kubota by so-on. 2006.
www.xmeda.be/xmeda.screen.pdf

Hesse, H. 1943. The Glass bead game. Vintage: London ,2000. (translated by
Richard and Clara Winston)

McLean, A. Hacking Perl in nightclubs. 2004.
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html

McLean, A. ANGRY - /usr/bin/bash as a performance tool. In S. Albert. (ed.)
Cream 12, 2003. http://twenteenthcentury.com/saul/cream12.htm

Roads, C. The Second STEIM Symposium on interactive composition in live
electronic music. Computer Music Journal, 10, 2, 1986, 44-50. [describes an
early 1985 performance by Ron Kuivila]

Rohrhuber, J., de Campo, A., Wieser, R. Algorithms today - notes on
language design for just in time programming. In Proceedings of the
International Computer Music Conference, Barcelona, 2005.

Rohrhuber, J., and de Campo, A. Uncertainty and waiting in computer music
networks. 2004. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference.

Sorensen, A. Impromptu: an interactive programming environment for
composition and performance. In Proceedings of the Australasian Computer
Music Conference, 2005, 149-153.

TOPLAP mailing list archives 2004-7

Wang, G. and Cook, P. ChucK: a concurrent, on-the-fly audio programming
language. In Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference,
2003. http://on-the-fly.cs.princeton.edu/

Wang, G. and Cook, P. On-the-fly programming: using code as an expressive
musical instrument. NIME 2004.

Wang, G. and Cook, P. The Audicle: a context-sensitive, on-the-fly audio
programming environ/mentality" Proceedings of the International Computer
Music Conference, 2004. (this and further publications are available at
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~gewang/research/#pubs)

Ward, A., Rohrhuber, J., Olofsson, F., McLean, A., Griffiths, D., Collins,
N., and Alexander, A. Live algorithm programming and a temporary
organisation for its promotion. In Proceedings of the README Software Art
Conference, Aarhus, Denmark, 2004.
http://www.toplap.org/index.php/Read_me_paper