Re: [livecode] New to this

From: Ge Wang <gewang_at_CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:54:59 -0500

Welcome Eric!!

>    I'm new to this list and new to live coding.  I'm just curious what
> you experts would say is the best place for a newcomer like me to
> begin live coding?  I'm reading up on ChucK and I have worked with
> CSound, Max/MSP, and PD before.  I'm not a programmer (yet) but I do
> understand a little about how to program.  My goal is to do live audio
> coding.  I'm running a Linux (Ubuntu) OS and have lots of time to
> learn.  Should I spend more time reading up on programming or on
> practicing/experimenting?  Basically I'm looking for any pointers or
> good howtos out there thanks.

I'm no expert, but I say start hacking/coding/playing! Get comfortable
in the languages and environments - even if you don't start out coding
"live". In fact, it may be more productive to learn the ins and outs
and nuances of the languages first, and develop your own sense of what
it means to live code.

Also, while I'm glad you are looking into ChucK (for wholly biased
reasons), I'd additionally recommend checking out the wealth of live
coding systems out there, including SuperCollider, Impromptu (.98 just
released a few hours ago), PERL or python based systems, etc: here is
a list:

     http://www.toplap.org/index.php/ToplapSystems

Most of the environments can take a little getting used to, or possibly
more if you haven't programmed a lot before. But that's part of the
process I reckon, and I think that's why it's good to do at least a
little every day or so. Depending on your world view, there may be no
wrong way to live code, or possibly no right way to live code. The
best thing to do is to fire away. Do some of everything, write code,
read, think about how you might turn your existing Csound, Max, or PD
environment into programming-driven meta-instruments, listen, code
more, share your code, start a live coding session with your
neighbor/friend/significant other...

Fire away. Yeah?

Best,
Ge!