Re: [livecode] aa-cell recording

From: Fredrik Olofsson <f_at_fredrikolofsson.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:35:52 +0100

hi Andrew,
beautiful track! thanks for sharing. you've really got something
going there and i look forward to hear/see you perform here in europe
soon.
though compared from hearing you perform live, i did lack one little
thing... the all so quiet rattle of you two typing away like mad on
your keyboards. so please - feature request for the next mp3.

i've been fighting projector hum a fair bit and Ade is right. try to
make sure laptop+beamer uses the same power. although this seems
counterintuitive and many sound technicians wont let you run a
projector on their clean sound power supply.
another very efficient way is to remove the earth from the projector
with a homebuilt earth->noearth cable (some gaffa also works with the
plugs we have here in .de). no hum but a brutal if not illegal
method. and if something happens you didn't hear that from me ;-)
see it as a desperate last solution.

_f

On 09.02.2007, at 08:46, Adrian Ward wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2007, at 05:45, Andrew Sorensen wrote:
>
>> ** Have other live programmers experienced audio problems when
>> using video projectors (earthing problems/ground loop etc.) Seems
>> to be an ongoing problem for aa-cell - not sure what we're doing
>> wrong. We seem to end up with really noisy signal as soon as we
>> start projecting - obviously highly undesirable!! The problem is
>> exacerbated by the fact that we rarely use the same projector
>> twice and often have very little setup time or control over the
>> performance space. Any suggestions/thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
> Have you tried unplugging your power supply and performing off
> battery? This usually helps although it's obviously not desirable
> if, like me, your battery is an OAP. The other thing to do is to
> try to ensure the projector is fed off the same power supply/socket
> as your computer, since this means they're both using the same
> earth loop and should have the same phase.
>
> Otherwise, investigate a hum suppressor box, these are often used
> with DI boxes in staged environments with laptops to avoid such
> problems - it won't make it go away completely but it might help a
> lot.
>
> Hope that helps a bit,
>

> Ade.

   #|
      fredrikolofsson.com klippav.org musicalfieldsforever.com