Re: [livecode] aa-cell recording

From: Adrian Ward <adrian_at_signwave.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 07:46:39 +0000

On 9 Feb 2007, at 05:45, Andrew Sorensen wrote:

> ** Have other live programmers experienced audio problems when
> using video projectors (earthing problems/ground loop etc.) Seems
> to be an ongoing problem for aa-cell - not sure what we're doing
> wrong. We seem to end up with really noisy signal as soon as we
> start projecting - obviously highly undesirable!! The problem is
> exacerbated by the fact that we rarely use the same projector twice
> and often have very little setup time or control over the
> performance space. Any suggestions/thoughts greatly appreciated.

Have you tried unplugging your power supply and performing off
battery? This usually helps although it's obviously not desirable if,
like me, your battery is an OAP. The other thing to do is to try to
ensure the projector is fed off the same power supply/socket as your
computer, since this means they're both using the same earth loop and
should have the same phase.

Otherwise, investigate a hum suppressor box, these are often used
with DI boxes in staged environments with laptops to avoid such
problems - it won't make it go away completely but it might help a lot.

Hope that helps a bit,

Ade.