Re: [livecode] re: show us your screens

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:35:21 +0200

On 9/26/06, Paul Sanders <paul_at_state51.co.uk> wrote:

> Unless the entire machine is visible then there will always be an option
> to hide some of the processes that produce the output. There's an
> interesting idea here about what lies behind the interface; I think a piano
> would have to try very hard to be dishonest. Once you press the key it has
> very little option but to hit the string!

Yes, but when positioning the piano in the pre-Liszt way you would now have
the option of using some modern MIDI controlled player-piano. As long as you
are showing your hands it will stick out when there are far more notes then
what you are playing.

...Or maybe not. When instruments are featured in movies the manual gestures
often have very little relationship to the notes heard. To get back to
Paganini; this happens to a rather disturbing degree in Kinsky's movie on
him (I advise against seeing that, BTW). Most of the time the average viewer
doesn't complain and maybe doesn't notice.

Anyway, I recognise this but this is why I mentioned that I thought general
availability for livecoding systems was a pre. If you were to give a
livecoding performance in SuperCollider you have a chance that somebody in
the audience will know the language and will start getting restless as soon
as some musical element is introduced that aparently has nothing to do with
the code you wrote so far. If you were to do one in PSandersCode version
0.0.3(in-house alpha) which might have loads and loads highly unusual and
hard to understand functions this risk would be much smaller.

To be clear; I'd still love to see performances in unusual home-brew
languages, I just think that on a prinicple level generally available
systems fit with how I read the Toplap manifesto.
 I still think that somebody who feels his homebrew and hard to understand
langauage is the most expressive thing available to him should immediately
go perform in that language; it's his performance, not mine. I didn't object
when I heard that Unit Moebius prefered performing from teh backstage using
very long audo cables either.

Kas.