Re: [livecode] re: show us your screens

From: Fredrik Olofsson <f_at_fredrikolofsson.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:16:47 +0200

sure, noble goals for livecoding and i wish i could agree. but aren't
we throwing out the baby here? i mean suppressing the mysticism, the
virtuosity, the ingenious algorithms, the wow-factor, the
how-the-hell-did-(s)he-do-that... aren't they all very important parts
of a good performance? at least i know i prefer to get tricked or
confused instead of 'taught' something. this is just so much more
imaginative and inspirational than to understand or fully grasp
something. i'd rather see livecoders dare, risk and fake to amuse than
preach about code ease-of-use.
coding stuff from scratch live on stage is such a weird activity. it's
a pisstake on both laptop music and office work. i love it.

_f

Kassen:

On 24.09.2006, at 09:52, Adrian Ward wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2006, at 00:47, Kassen wrote:
>
>> For one thing those intruments were well out of the reach of the
>> audience finantially and I think some of the apeal came from it not
>> being quite clear how they worked or what was done with them.
>
> I think livecoding retains a small element of this, although it is not
> about financial attainability, but rather the mistaken perception that
> programming is something most people cannot engage with. I think
> livecoding has an ability to change that by demonstrating ease of use
> - we just have to find ways of allowing audience members the potential
> to understand. This is very different to taking a didactic approach by
> trying to make _everyone_ understand (which is a mistake and probably
> would bore an audience).

   #|
      fredrikolofsson.com klippav.org musicalfieldsforever.com