[livecode] book

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:43:32 +0100

I was wondering if anyone's thought of writing a book about livecoding.
Either way, is it a good idea? My initial thought was that we could put
together a proposal to o'reilly as an excercise, and if they don't
accept it go ahead anyway, perhaps as a wikibook.

I don't know if it would really fit into o'reilly's series but I'm
thinking an introductory chapter about each of the main systems, a
chapter on the theory of interactive programming, a chapter about the
technicalities of doing so in a range of languages, a bit about cutting
edge livecoding techniques - use of history, the blurring between code
and GUI and so on... So instructive but still with plenty room for
humour.

On one hand a publisher like O'Reilly won't like a proposal with more
than a few authors, and on the other a wikibook should have as many as
possible... So we see who's interested I guess.

On the other hand maybe this is a bad/old fashioned idea and we should
just stick with the wikis we already have. I just think it might be
something fun to work towards.

alex