Re: [livecode] book

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:20:24 +0100

An edited book with chapters contributed by different authors could be the
most democratic. Certainly, an O'Reilly's type how-to guide wouldn't have
so many authors.

I like the way we've tried to be quite open via this list in the past.
Books aren't for everyone though because there is either an open call
followed by a review process which may not let everyone through, or a small
core of authors who take responsibility for their own output, and you might
be tied by a publishing contract to not put any parts online in a wiki as
you write.

(Not sure live coding is sufficiently established to allow for a book yet,
but then, perhaps the establishment is an outcome of creating a book! )

Alternative possibilties might be a conference (with proceedings) on live
coding. Or to actually hold the World Live Coding Championships.

Perhaps in the short-term the wiki world is fine, but happy to hear of any
longer term thoughts like this.

I did investigate with one academic journal about a special issue on live
coding, though they could only guarantee space at the earliest in 2009. And
the more widely distributed press articles are a better promotion if that
is the main aim of writing.

Anyway, happy to be involved whatever gets decided.

best