Re: [livecode] little languages

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:20:14 +0100

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 23:42 +0100, alex wrote:
> I'm getting frustrated having to type the same rhythmic constructs over
> and over when I'm livecoding music with Perl, so am now trying to make a
> simpler "domain specific language" that lets me type them faster. This
> is a bit like data compression and a bit like defining what I think
> rhythm is in a language.

Sorry to reply to my own message but I'm getting increasingly interested
in this. I'm sure we've all customised our programming environments to
some extent. I mean my environment is the Perl programming language,
provided by far cleverer people than myself, but through making music
with it I've built up a library of code that to some extent defines the
style of music I make, making it easier to not only make that style of
music, but also understand, reason about and change it.

Also, these libraries of code that we build up, the starting points and
"pre-prepared scripts." Maybe we should think of this more as long term
memory. If so, then going through these old scripts is analogous to
dreaming. By finding common patterns running through old scripts we can
dream up new syntax and semantics that make the patterns more explicitly
expressible.

Lastly, I'm finding this chapter really interesting, it contains a model
of improvisation which seems readily applicable to livecoding:
  http://www.psych.unimelb.edu.au/staff/jp/improv-methods.pdf

alex