[livecode] ap/xxxxx vs lc perhaps not

From: m <m_at_1010.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:05:36 +0100

Hi,

I wanted to clarify our panel position in regard to live
coding/TOPLAP; it's possibly not as extreme as Alex suggests - we
wanted to make a transition from live coding as technique (which can
be critiqued when focused on as technique with arguments such as the
return of the virtuosic or code/guitar solo), into what we could now
term life coding (or as i see in another thread from Julian - alive
coding) - with the equal overarching question of what is life (a
machinery for living calling up vast 20C questions of economies) or
for that matter code - questions entertained using the descriptive
means which can be agreed upon as software. I think that could begin a
definition of life coding which I don't think denies or rejects TOPLAP
- perhaps it needed to be made plainer that TOPLAP embraces a wider
calling (?) than the technical use of moderate to high level coding
within contemporary languages in a determined cultural context. And
yes the social. That's what we were trying to do with plenum at
limehouse. Life coding is online in note form at:

http://www.1010.co.uk/life_coding.html

I'm trying to work up as an introduction to our xxxxx_reader
(published in association with Mute mid July) the topic of life coding
in relation to framing, Pynchon, mechanism and the kitchen sink and
can post progress if there's interest. At the same time we're
programming (in the old sense) an xxxxx seminar module for piksel
(norway) in mid-october attempting to interface this and the xxxxx
thematics with a discussion of open hardware. Any presentation
proposals would be great!

best wishes
Martin

http://1010.co.uk