Re: [livecode] Doug Stanley interview

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:01:18 +0100

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 16:24 +0400, DJ Fadereu wrote:
> We disagree because I do not know Perl, and you perform
> with it. Alex - I'm trying to imagine that when we are typing
> on a laptop - its a bit like percussion, if you hear the sound
> of the keys. That can be seen and interpreted by the audience,
> and it falls in with the waves of music you are producing. It
> makes sense to their apparatus. BECAUSE Perl cause
> a cognitive dissonance between your hand-actions and
> the music, there is a problem.

Is there a problem when someone presses a small key and a huge sound
comes out? I hope some correlation can be seen between for example
frantic typing and frantic results, that would seem enough to me. But
really I think it's up to an audience to get what they want out of a
performance, they're paying for it so they should have some freedom.

> Then they shouldn't come to a concert hall. It is true for most bar
> and club performances though, if that is TopLap's destiny.

I understand that the requirement to be silent and fully attentive in a
concert hall is only recent (c.f. Christopher Small - Musicking).

I see TOPLAP as a looser group of people, who don't make their music in
particular or prescribed ways (manifestos should not be taken too
seriously), but have similarities in some part of their method.

I think we should start by looking for similarities between activities,
before we look for differences. Otherwise we will fall into making
false claims for novelty, miss the opportunity to draw on
cross-disciplinary knowledge, and fail to understand the more
novel/interesting aspects of the activities.

alex