Re: [livecode] some memories and thoughts

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 02:19:19 +0200

On 4/16/06, adrian <vacca_at_goto10.org> wrote:

> i think one
> main point is, that we are not 'laptop-djs', and to communicate that
> to a public can be quite important. there's a difference.

I have to say, though; I enjoy "looking at the fingers" (Dutch saying) of a
good DJ.

Generally I like watching anybody make music and I suspect this apeals to
most people. The problem with a lot of electronic performances may not even
be that the way the music is made (mixed/manipulated/whatever) isn't clear.
I've started to believe the issue may be that frequently no music is made at
all. Some performers try to cover this with waving their hands (and so on)
and I suppose that's more apealing then this typical half-hearted state
stuck inbetween changing some paterns and twisting a knob or two and
basically waiting for the pre-aranged hour to pass but I find both leave me
cold.

Millenea of dealing with the social mess that's human culture has made all
of us very good at recognising facial expressions; I don't think there's
much faking possible in a look of intense concentration or enjoyment.
Regardless of projected code; I think actually playing or writing music on
stage will come across quite differently from queing pre-recorded
arrangements. Perhaps a little faith is in order. Indeed; the average
audience member can't be expected to get all the nuances involved in
changing one type of code loop into another but then again; they probably
didn't understand the way a drum machine connected to a analogue synth's
arpegiator the night before either, nor do they need to.

It's pure speculation but I think many of the complaints about laptop
performances are things people later made up in order to cover up a
subconcious realisation that something was wrong and indeed in many cases
something IS wrong.

That doesn't mean projection schreens can't help but to me those add
something akin to puting a camera on the fingers of a guitarist, then
projecting it. Come to think of it; I'd be in favour of projecting the
working space of a DJ as well.

Kas.