Re: [livecode] Live Coding in Australia

From: Andrew Sorensen <andrew_at_moso.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:12:55 +1000

I've been using a customized version of TinyScheme (a scheme
interpreter written in C) which has been tied directly into a C++
synthesis/scheduling engine I've been building in parallel. This
basically allows me to call C++ methods from scheme and scheme
functions from C++ (which is kinda nice for creating quasi recursive
scheme functions with precisely timed callbacks - very useful for
musical structures). I'm currently investigating extending the
synthesis/scheduling engine to support AudioUnits (both instruments
and effects) which would provide impromptu with the ability to create
AU chains and manipulate AU parameters at runtime.

I've also recently built a simple IDE (read text editor) for
impromptu (which is displayed in the picture) that does syntax
highlighting, brace matching, formatting etc. The idea is to extend
this into a collaborative editor a la subethaedit. At the moment,
impromptu supports multiple users working in the same runtime but
obviously a collaborative text editing environment would also enhance
this significantly.

It's nice to see there is so much activity in this community at the
moment. It's a shame everyone is so spread out, or maybe that's just
me in Australia :)