Re: [livecode] Live Coding in Australia

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:15:13 +0100 (BST)

> On 19 Jul 2005, at 12:50, Dave Griffiths wrote:
>
>> I've found (more or less accidently) that
>> scheme is a very suitable language for live coding due to it's concise
>> nature.
>
> As a Lisp/Scheme hacker I think it's great that Scheme is finding
> favour with livecoders.

I'm learning scheme by live coding, probably not to be recommended. It's
such a ancient and beautiful language though.

Bizzare how the names car and cdr originally came from the machine code
instructions from one of these:
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/704.html

> I am also interested to know what dialect
> people are using

I use guile:
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html
It's not very good, the api is an undocumented mess.

> and what kind of editor they are using whilst
> coding live. I can't imagine coding Lisp without a syntax
> highlighting editor to keep track of the parentheses, but possibly
> I'm just a wuss. :-)

I wrote my own text editor, in OpenGL so it could be rendered on top of
the fluxus graphics engine. Parentheses highlighting was an early feature
:)

cheers,

dave