Re: [livecode] toplap at club transmediale

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:39:26 +0000

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 16:00 +0000, Nick Collins wrote:
> It's fun that a lot of people seem interested. As discussed with Fredrik
> and Alex over last days, some sort of off-transmediale TOPLAP bonus event
> might be a solution. We shall see what the organisers say about funds and
> official performance slots.

I mailed coder at c-base, who co-organised the event there with us last
year. Do you think it's also worth mailing Andreas Broeckmann, Amy?

Ultrasound was a lot of fun. Klippav rocked out, with a great big
projection of live webcam cut ups and dancing abstract forms next to a
great big projection of Nick's screen. They were big enough that we
audience members had to choose which to look at. Personally I chose to
give more of my visual attention to Fredrik's visuals than to Nick's
text editor which perhaps shouldn't be surprising. However I believe
that those less familiar with live coding might be more preoccupied with
the code, as a novelty.

This seems quite unexpected, that those less technically literate have
reason to be more interested in the code than those who are in a better
position to understand it.

Sadly tablex suffered a technical problem and our systems wouldn't stay
in synch, leaving Alex with a lot of work to do to hold it all
together... Bah! There were some nice moments, but they were mostly
rather fleeting because of the problems. It was a shame, because I
think we were well prepared...

I'm finding lots of practice and preparation is really essential for
live coding improv. Part of the preparation is pre-preparing scripts to
use as starting points. However, the easiest thing to do is build up a
bulk of scripts that you then run and tweak numbers in... But as we've
said before, that doesn't seem better than buttons and sliders.

The key seems to be to read through all prepared scripts hours before a
performance to make sure the workings are all fresh in the mind. Then
later it's easier to connect what you can hear with the code itself, and
look and listen for parts you might change or expand.

I didn't do this preparation when we played on thursday, but did on
Saturday, with great difference in how much I could manipulate the code.

Anyway, I could do with some sleep!

alex