Re: [livecode] Hello (& chaos)

From: Tom Betts <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:27:52 +0100

Hi All,,

Hey dave,

I'm writing a system based on this kind of idea..
basically it resembles a corewar style memory space with instructions of ASM
style
(but a little more verbose). Each mem line can hold 3 values which are read
as
a command with 2 variables.. it includes pointer based stuff and the ability
to write/copy from one memory location to another.. You can implement
corewar style 'battling' code fragments quite easily..
Its all written in C++ with an OPengl interface and a text editor for the
built in language. I'm still wrtiting in more command features and have to
finish the save/load functions but its working out very welll.. If you'd
like I can post a demo when its in a decent state (probably not till xmas)
I showed alex a bit of it briefly in aarhus, but really it needs a lot more
work done (especially drag/drop library routines etc)

I'm really into this sort of low level modular code writing and the
resulting sonification of such algos..
Its a sort of VM which has a sort of interpret phase but very fast..
(Basically you can edit lines and then commit them)
It only operates on a sample playback/manipulation basis at the moment, but
i'm thinking of putting some synthesis stuff into it..
But then I might just add an OSC/UDP library of commands and be able to use
SC or PD etc for the real DSP stuff.
Theres some great potential inthese sort of systems though, even if it can
get a little crazy with lots of nasty pointer stuff.!

Tom
http://www.nullpointer.co.uk
http://www.r4nd.org
http://www.q-q-q.net