[livecode] Re: toplap submission for transmediale

From: transmediale <info_at_transmediale.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:38:47 +0200

Hi,

your entry form is ok, but we definetly need a hardcopy of the entry formular
(we need the signature and some other things).
Please send us the formular if possible by fax +49 30 24 749 814), we will put
it together with the rest of your submission!

Best,

Magdalena Rothweiler
assistant festivalmanagement

Quoting toplap <livecode_at_toplap.org>:

> Dear Madam/Sir,
> We, TOPLAP, enclose an entirely digital entry for the
> transmediale award and club transmediale, considering the medium of
> paper a little old fashioned.
> We hope this is fine with you and will not disqualify us from
> participation.
> With thanks for your upcoming judging efforts,
> TOPLAP
>

> application form details:
> institution: TOPLAP
> address- virtual, contact via livecode_at_toplap.org or the website.
> title of work: TOPLAP authors: TOPLAP
>
> three keywords: interactive performative instrument

> Country: at least 5 Year: 2004
>
> accompanied by proposal/explanation below, plus the site itself.
>
> We agree to the conditions of entry and wish to enter the work for
> selection in the award as well as for club transmediale.
>

> http://www.toplap.org/?TransmedialeSubmission
>
> Some computer languages allow a programmer to change a running process
> on the fly by rewriting the code that defines it. If the output of that
> code is a process being revealed to human senses, an interactive
> performance is possible. Applied to live computer music this means
> sound compositions can be heard as they form, and musical algorithms
> adjusted while already playing.
>
> TOPLAP is the Temporary Organisation for the Promotion of Live
> Algorithm Programming, set up to explore the application of live
> programming to composition and performance. TOPLAP advocates treating
> algorithms as live artistic material, allowing them to be written and
> manipulated while they create music or video, perhaps in front of an
> audience.
>
> The interests of the TOPLAP membership encompass live coding
> performances with output in both audio and visual modalities, the
> possibilities of immediate feedback given by prototyping compositions
> in interpreted programming languages and new languages for on-the-fly
> programming. This international organisation is gathering membership
> and profile. Recent performances and demonstrations have taken place in
> Japan, USA, Sweden, Germany, England and Denmark.
>
> Further information on TOPLAP artists, events and theory is available
> at:
>
> http://www.toplap.org
>
> The site contains links to archived performances, papers on live coding
> practise and history as identified by the group.
>
> For the transmediale awards TOPLAP submits itself. In particular, we
> would like to highlight the LUBECK04 Manifesto for Live Coding
> Performance, as linked:
>
> http://toplap.org/?ManifestoDraft
>
> For instance, criticism of laptop performers is rampant (by an old
> guard?) but it is quite possible to fight such rejection on a better
> surface: projection of laptop screens to reveal the whole instrument.
> For audio especially, it is vital that we confront the issue of a level
> playing field between laptop musicians and conventional acoustic
> [...]

transmediale.05 - 4 - 8 feb 2005
international media art festival berlin
transmediale - Klosterstr.68-70 - 10179 Berlin
tel. +49 (0)30.24749-761 fax. +49 (0)30.24749-814
info_at_transmediale.de - http://www.transmediale.de
Member of the European Coordination of Film Festivals