Re: [livecode] coding from scratch

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:27:30 +0100

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 10:30, Tom Betts wrote:
> Yeah, I had fun at placard (shame I couldnt stay longer),
> I didnt start from scratch though (boo, hiss etc),
> But decided instead to do some on the fly recoding of some semi-complete
> patches.

I liked the development of your set, you had a good pace (I got a bit
lost and mine ended up a tad samey) was it all PD - synthesis too?
Should have grabbed you for a chat, but it was all quite busy by then
(and competition for sockets was fierce ;))

> 3. text interface. although above i was being keen on different form of gui
> and representation i think that text can be a very powerful
> method of interacion and display. Theres something that seems more permanent
> in a text phrase than an icon.
> and text interfaces can also represent the history of a performance in a way
> icon/gui based work cant..
> revisions are easier to see and theres a closer allusion to poetry and the
> elegance/efficiency implied

I think there is some ground between text and gui that isn't often
covered, flow graphs are close, but I think there may be more ways of
doing it. I'd like a complete programming language that is visual
(shapes, colours, no text) and clear enough for an audience to see a
clear correlation between what they are seeing in the "code" and what is
happening. I'm probably asking for too much...

dave