[livecode] coding from scratch

From: Tom Betts <zero_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:30:54 +0100
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Yeah, I had fun at placard (shame I couldnt stay longer),
I didnt start from scratch though (boo, hiss etc),
But decided instead to do some on the fly recoding of some semi-complete
patches.
It got a bit hectic at one point, when I was running about 3 instances of PD
and managed
to code in an infinite loop... oooops, things got a bit locked up and a nice
screaming feedback
made some peoples ears hurt, I kind of lost direction after that..

Saw alex's set too, and a few other really interesting things...
made me think of a couplke of things though..

1. Would a group livecode set be more rewarding than a solo one..
Alex and alex worked well together, because I think that the speed of
development was
quite well matched. Your familiarity with your environment (software) and
the ease of that
environments use obviously effects the speed of performance development.
With multiple
performers working together these development instances would be staggered
and possibly
lead to a more organic and freeform development (often devlopment stages are
tied down to the
final line return or execution command,particularyl in command line based
systems)

2. Alex was calling routines with argument sets to create various arpeggios,
rhythmic structures and so on.
this was interesting to see (I agree about the projector though) but still
remains quite a closed
box to most viewers (unlike alexs flower app). Its hard to see the source
material and relate sonic changes to
visual changes in this material.. I suppose one advantage of ableton etc is
that you can see the samples and their
postions etc.. I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say but I would have
been intrigued to see some wavetables
or sample data somewhere, or some other forms of representation/interaction.
This is of course a personal taste thing though..

3. text interface. although above i was being keen on different form of gui
and representation i think that text can be a very powerful
method of interacion and display. Theres something that seems more permanent
in a text phrase than an icon.
and text interfaces can also represent the history of a performance in a way
icon/gui based work cant..
revisions are easier to see and theres a closer allusion to poetry and the
elegance/efficiency implied

mmmmmm anyway, lots to think about as usual, well done all the placard team!

Tom
http://www.nullpointer.co.uk
http://www.r4nd.org