Re: [livecode] re: coding from scratch

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:17:23 +0100

  At one point all four stages had laptops running ableton
> live!

grrr

well, not entirely serious. But I finally got to see a copy of Delaney's
new book on laptop music (PC publishing)- talk about Ableton Live centric!
Not even Max/MSP gets a proper mention, and as for PD, SC, custom software,
live coding, alternative controllers beyond the obvious MIDI slider stuff...

Dave, lego blocks sound fine for computing, tangible interfaces are a very
current research topic. See also Ge's NIME04 ref to the Barcelona group's
reacTable project.

Oh, I e-mailed EMF on the off chance about their laptops festival, awaiting
details (probably we have to organise our own sub event somewhere, we shall
see), this is from Joel Chadabe:

Hi Nick,

This sounds great! We'd be delighted to include it. We'll be in touch again
in August with details.

Best,

Joel

>Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:14:45 +0100
>From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
>Sender: nc272_at_hermes.cam.ac.uk
>To: laptops_at_emf.org
>Subject: TOPLAP
>
>Hi,
> I'm contacting you on behalf of TOPLAP, the Transnational Organisation
for the Promotion of Live Algorithm Programming (see toplap.org) in
connection with your laptop festival of next year. I was wondering if there
might be any part for a live coding event as part of festival, to which we
could bring together performers from around the globe (such as VJ Ubergeek,
Ge Wang (ChucK), klipp av, yaxo paxo and Julian Rohrhuber/Alberto de
Campo). A prototype meeting of this type is occuring at the README software
arts festival in Aarhus this summer, but we're thinking ahead to future
chances to promote live programming.

>I heard about the EMF's festival from a contact, but found no details on
the web site, so I hope you don't mind this approach, and could possibly
tell me more.