Re: [livecode] finishing paper

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:57:08 +0100

On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:43:16 +0100, alex wrote
> How can live coding help break performer-audience separation?

I think the choice to use live programming is simply an interface choice -
scripts are user interfaces as much as anything else. More importantly though,
they are a very rigorous description of what is going on, more so than a load
of graphics - and a bit more honest.

The reason that it might be better for a performer-audience situation may be
due to this honesty - not patronising the audience and hiding the process away
behind a ton of graphics, and not having that stupid secrecy that seems to be
so common in computer art generally - like by giving away the details of the
processes used, the artists may lose something.

The processes used in computer art are just as individual and unique as the
result (sadly often more interesting:), and they should be open for all to
see. A performance that is open and honest in this way is a story, and much
more engaging for it - I lose count of the number of bands I've seen with
laptops "live" and come away feeling a little empty and cheated.

cheers for listening to my little rant :)

dave