[livecode] paper abstract

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:48:31 +0000

I drafted an abstract for a RUNME paper, obviously fully open to
discussion. It might also help get us get grounded? (I don't presume I've
got this right first time!) Are there some wiki instructions, how do I add
a new page to the wiki for the abstract?

Also, mailing list- is there an online joining/quitting interface- to
invite Ge Wang to join etc...

Cheers

RUNME abstract
Live Audio Programming and a Temporary Organisation for its Promotion

DJ Albatross, MC XVIII, Terminalator X and Scope Codey Code (joke names,
or our real ones?)

"Why, his hands move so fluidly that they almost make music" (Ba.Ch creates
a chess program for Crab) Hofstader, D. (2000) Godel Escher Bach. (20th
anniv. ed.) Penguin. p729.

We can do better than almost.

Live computer music and visual performance can now involve interactive
control of algorithmic processes. In normal practise, the interface for
such activity is determined before the concert. In a new discipline of live
coding or on-the-fly programming the control structures of the algorithms
themselves are malleable at run-time. Such algorithmic fine detail is most
naturally explored through a textual interpreted programming language. A
number of practitioners are already involved with these possibilities using
a variety of platforms and languages.

(if need longer abstract now mentions the hub, jitlib, slub, chuck,
ubergeek?)

An international organisation, TOPLAP, has recently been established to
promote the diffusion of these issues and provide a seal of quality for the
audiogrammers, progisicians and codeductors exploring the art of coding in
live performance. To this end, a manifesto, Lubeck 04, presented herein,
attempts to qualify the expertise required in live programming for an
acceptable contribution to this new field.