Re: [livecode] vsxu

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:08:59 +0200

Alex;

I prefer to build my own systems where possible, I'm not totally sure

> why. I get enjoyment out of making things for myself, no matter how
> substandard, working out little design decisions in my personal
> favour. I don't use fluxus or supercollider much because they're
> really good, I prefer my own cranky rubbish. I think trying to build
> from a lower layer in the stack, building in personal flaws, is a good
> way of developing a personal aesthetic.

Yes, I got that you want to build your own system; I thought fluxus could be
used to build this in. Prototyping languages might be one of the most
popular applications for Scheme; it'd make sense as a choice, I think.

For me there is a big difference between playing ChucK as a instrument and
playing Tr8or (my own sequencer, written in ChucK). I don't think that using
a domain-specific language that could be used as a instrument as well takes
anything away from Tr8or being my own instruments with about 2 clever ideas
and several dozen questionable bits that are all mine. Of course it could be
said that I didn't make all of it; Ge&co wrote ChucK and Hori made the
joystick... And then Ge used GCC, which he didn't write and Hori buys parts
from Sanwa.

Still; the way in which information goes in, what's done with it, and the
sound that comes out is all mine.

Hope that clarifies what I meant.

Yours,
Kas.