Re: [livecode] vsxu

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:42:01 +0100

On 15 September 2010 15:17, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity; why not simply Fluxus? In Fluxus it's quite easy to
> execute code that's somehow represented in the 3d scene to the scene itself.
> Once I figured out how to print text to the scene making this text editable
> and executable only to a single kB of code. That was a bit of a shock to me;
> it was a very basic experiment and we *know* that scheme can run strings as
> code but to see it with my own eyes was still a bit of a revelation.
> Maybe you simply want to keep the diversity of systems in Slub?

I prefer to build my own systems where possible, I'm not totally sure
why. I get enjoyment out of making things for myself, no matter how
substandard, working out little design decisions in my personal
favour. I don't use fluxus or supercollider much because they're
really good, I prefer my own cranky rubbish. I think trying to build
from a lower layer in the stack, building in personal flaws, is a good
way of developing a personal aesthetic.

I used supercollider in an installation recently because it was really
quick to make a really nice, clean vowel filter, but if I had more
time I'd have made it myself in C, then I'd have made something
through active understanding, that was a bit broken in interesting
ways. Each to their own of course.

By the way a few of us have some live coding gigs around the UK planned:

Oct 12th Huddersfield - Inclusive improv
Oct 22nd Newcastle - Centre for Life
Oct 23rd Nottingham - LAB
Oct 29th Sheffield - Access Space
Dec 16th London - Goldsmiths