Re: [livecode] Online article

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:42:12 +0000

Hi Andrew,

Great to see your article. I'd love to hear more about Andrew and your
current practice efforts as well- do you have any gigs coming up, or what
were your rehearsal procedures and preparations for last year's?

Reading through, not sure I'd agree with 'use of pre-established sound
generators' because quite a lot of live coding in SuperCollider and those
Max/MSP competitions in Belgium, for instance, involves the dynamic
realtime construction of a unit generator graph. Manipulating sound
synthesis algorithms is often one relatively low-level thing we explore.
(you actually tone down this assertion in the next paragraph anyway when
you talk about the continua)

In this context, thought I might just mention that I built a realtime
'instruction synthesis' compiler as a UGen which I showed at high speed at
dorkbot in London before xmas- analogous to some of Dave's work, it seeks
to set up a set of primitive instructions, in this case for breakpoint
synthesis, which can be manipulated on the fly, thus directly live coding
changes to a low-level synthesis algorithm.

Anyway, moving on, I really like this sentence:

'live coding requires not only new performance skills but also new ways of
describing the structures of and processes that create music.'

And this is fun:

'Also underscoring this culture of sharing, is a prioritising of reputation
above (or prior to) profit'

So anonymous releases for all open source in future to avoid charges of any
personal gain? ; )

You ref me for the practice of projection, but I should mention that Alex
has been the most consistent and primary advocate of this since 2000,
though he seems to have had some qualms in recent years ( long the
pro-acousmatic lines you also mention).

And great to see those further new coverage reports/blogs... we should
relocate the TOPLAP head office to Australia ; )

best
Nick