Re: [livecode] live coding practice

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:17:04 +0100

>I'm really curious to see if anyone has followed up the practice
>challenge Fredrik and I pursued in August. Are we close to
>abandoning live coding, is it just Alex working hard at it*, or are
>there dedicated academies springing up on the underground?

For me solo live coding is a bit more a private performance art. I
have the impression the problem is not practise, but inspiration, and
I still like those patches best (of the ones I did in the practise in
august) that explored an idea.

In the seminars I give it is normal practise to be in "double
discourse" about and with the program, recently we programmed an
artificial acoustic bathtub that way. The sonification workshop with
Alberto de Campo was also a real success and it was all "live coding"
(but there was no "audience", only participants).

The recent concert of powerbooks unplugged I liked a lot because it
is really collaborative live coding, with all the range from
individual reasoning to collective reasoning. There is a lot of
potential, but I find it already very interesting.
--
.