Re: [livecode] Doug Stanley interview

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:33:16 +0200

>Is there a problem when someone presses a small key and a huge sound
>comes out? I hope some correlation can be seen between for example
>frantic typing and frantic results, that would seem enough to me. But
>really I think it's up to an audience to get what they want out of a
>performance, they're paying for it so they should have some freedom.

>The trouble I have with what you're saying is that it's too
>rational. And it >is not
>the artist's job to be rational.

In my view there are a couple of assumptions here that cause the confusion.

* the separation between stage and audience
* the separation between artist/non-artist or consumer/producer
* the separation between rational/irrational
* the separation between art and science

Since the 20th century (at the latest) artistic activity usually has
been to try to work beyond these categories (and find new ones).

--
.