Re: [livecode] Hello (& chaos)

From: Ge Wang <gewang_at_CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:56:55 -0400

On Sep 10, 2004, at 10:17 AM, Dave Griffiths wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:54:06 -0400, Ge Wang wrote
>>
>> Perry and I are doing this with ChucK.
>>
>> http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/
>>
>> ChucK runs on a VM with special virtual instructions (many for
>> dealing with time), and is type-checked and compiled down to these
>> instructions.
>
> If you're programming a high level language that is compiled into
> bytecode,
> thats not what I'm talking about - that still seperates the actual
> running
> processes from the coder (with a write/compile cycle).

The idea is that you can program ChucK virtual instructions directly.
In
the "Turing Machine" sense, the virtual instructions are identical to
native
machine code, but have the added benefit of being run in a controllable
environment (VM). Check out:

     http://audicle.cs.princeton.edu/

In this sense, we can use any VM, however ChucK instructions are made
for sound synthesis. There are low level operations (add,shift,or,mem
etc)
as well as higher level instructions for scheduling. There are probably
other systems that supports this directly. But the benefits of the VM
is that
it makes on-the-fly "assembly" programming feasible and maybe even
fun... =) What do you think, Dave and others?

Best,
Ge!