Re: [livecode] livecoding with a bp2-alike thing

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:17:48 +0100

>On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 14:12 +0100, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
>> of yourse that's also not too hard if you simply
>> create lots of synths, it will definitely glitch
>
>Aha - thanks! I will play with this
>
>> Many of the JITLib classes extend this scheme.
>> You can do livecoding with l-systems, e.g. using
>> Plsys:
>> http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/727
>
>Nice, it seems a really great structure to build stuff around, I wonder
>what the history of it is, whether it was inspired from other
>languages/systems or imagined afresh for supercollider.

personally for me it is this: 1993 I met the mathematician Michael
Renton in Kharimabad, a small place in the mountains of Pakistan and
we quickly became good friends, because we couldn't solve some stupid
riddle involving coconuts, snails and monkeys. He made his phd some
years later in chaos theory and started working in biomathematics. A
couple of years ago he came to Hamburg and introduced us to L-Systems
they were (and still are) using to model tree growth. I have
implemented this in SC then, and a while ago improved and simplified
it so that now you can also use context-sensitive grammars. Also it
is a lazy system now so you can stream in data from one side and
filter it with the rules.

but of course this is not the history of l-systems..

--
.